Week 7 Assignment – Criminology Theory Application
In this assignment, you are continuing on in your role as a police officer. The Chief wants to continue her emphasis on empathy training. Now that she’s comfortable that officers have a grounding in criminology theory, she wants to see how effectively they are able to apply what they’ve learned about criminology theory and empathy to their daily police work. As part of their prework for an upcoming departmental training session, the chief wants all officers to complete a chart that requires them to specify for 10 given scenarios:
- The crime committed and the underlying cause of the behavior, based on criminology theories.
- A police response to the scenario that addresses the behavior and provides a solution to the incident.
Complete the Criminology Theory Application Chart [DOCX], which identifies 10 scenarios of criminal or deviant acts that officers are likely to encounter in performance of their duties. The first scenario is completed for you as an example to guide your responses for the remaining scenarios. For each scenario:
- Identify the crime(s) or deviance committed.
- Determine the behavior’s underlying cause, based on criminology theories.
- Outline a responding officer’s response to the scenario that addresses the behavior and provides a solution to the incident.
- Use three sources to support your writing.
- Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate.
- Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment.
- Access the library or review library guides for help with research, writing, and citation.
Submit the completed Criminology Theory Application Chart to the assignment area.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. Note the following:
- The preferred method is for your Criminology Theory Application Chart to be typed, single-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the assignment title, your name, your professor’s name, the course title, and the date.
- Include a separate source list page. Citations and references must follow SWS format.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine categories of crimes and their causes.