data driven discussion wk 6
To successfully complete your discussion post, include the following:
- The title of the article, the date it was published, and a link to the article.
- A bullet-pointed summary of the purpose of the article and the problem it is trying to solve.
- A brief explanation of how the article uses descriptive statistics to communicate information, conclusions, or solutions found in the study.
Be sure to respond to at least one of your classmates’ posts.
Note: The instructions for this discussion are the same as Step 1 in your Week 9 Assignment.
To begin, visit one of the following newspapers’ websites: USA Today, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or Washington Post. Select an article that uses statistical data related to a current event, your major, your current field, or a future career goal. The chosen article must have a publication date during this quarter.
Example topics may include:
- Elections/exit polls
- Award shows (Oscars/Emmys/Grammys)
- Economy/job market
- Gender equality
The article should use one or more of the following categories of descriptive statistics:
- Measures of Frequency – Counting Rules, Percent, Frequency, Frequency Distributions
- Measures of Central Tendency – Mean, Median, Mode
- Measures of Dispersion or Variation – Range, Variance, Standard Deviation
- Measures of Position – Percentile, Quartiles
Note: Once you navigate to a publication’s website, it may be easiest to do a search with a statistics-related word (ex: standard deviation).