W7D1 Wald Post a cohesive response based on your analysis of the Learning Resources and your professional experience. Be sure to discuss the following: “Se
Post a cohesive response based on your analysis of the Learning Resources and your professional experience. Be sure to discuss the following: “See attachment for detailed instructions
- 3 – 4 paragraphs
- No plagiarism
- APA citing
Discussion: Informal Mediation
In many situations, managers or leaders are often asked to step in and become the informal mediator when conflict arises. Reviewing last week’s scenario based on Brian and Jon’s workplace conflict, put yourself in the role of their manager. Brian and Jon have just approached you (their manager or someone they consider a leader) to informally mediate their conflict and you have agreed to help.
Week 6 Scenario
Two employees, Brian and Jon work in the same enclosed office and there are no other spaces available where either could be shifted. They are becoming increasingly frustrated about how to share the space and be productive. Brian likes to work with the door open, but Jon likes the door closed. Brian tends to shift tasks frequently, talking on his cell phone or speaking to people going by, while Jon prefers to do one task at a time. Jon tends to talk to himself as he is working. Jon also likes to put large sticky notes on the wall to visualize what he is working on, while Brian works primarily on his computer. Brian likes to spread a number of different items out to refer to as he is working and tends to leave them on the floor and all around his desk until he is finished. Both are claiming that each other’s work habits are preventing the other from working to full capacity.
Cahn, D. D., & Abigail, R. A. (2014). Managing conflict through communication (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
To prepare for this Discussion, pay particular attention to the following Learning Resources:
· Review this week’s Learning Resources, especially:
· Simpson, M. (2010). Good leaders are good mediators. Retrieved from http://www.mediate.com/articles/simpsonM2.cfm
a cohesive response based on your analysis of the Learning Resources and your professional experience. Be sure to discuss the following:
· In this situation, how you would prepare? What are the steps in the mediation process that you would pay particular attention to and why?
· Explain whether you would tend to be more like Brian or more like Jon (i.e. which role do you relate better)? What will you do to maintain a neutral stance and let them work out an agreement without substantive input from you?
· Present the script for what will you say in your opening statement.?
· For the above case, define these terms and write out at least four statements, one that demonstrates fractionation, framing, reframing, and common ground, respectively.
· Write two statements that might be in the final agreement – one from the perspective of Jon and one from the perspective of Brian.
· Examine at least two skills you would like to develop in order to become a better mediator. What are the opportunities to do this through your current employment, community resources or other routes?
· 3 – 4 paragraphs
· No plagiarism
· APA citing