week 7 discussion
Week 7 Discussion: Virtuous Person, Virtuous Citizen
4545 unread replies.4545 replies.
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 12
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Each person owes a duty to himself or herself and to the world to study ethics and to engage in thoughtful debate about what is right, and what is wrong. It is this habit of thinking about and reflecting on ethics that will help you determine the right choices when faced with an ethical dilemma.
Initial Post Instructions
Articulate a moral dilemma wherein one has to show a specific virtue or virtues (it can be any virtue or virtues including honesty, courage, charity/generosity, compassion, etc.)
- What is the moral dilemma about?
- What virtue or virtues should be shown? (You are here selecting the best course of action)
- Why is that virtue or those virtues to be shown?
- How should the virtue or virtues be expressed, and why in that manner?
- Apply Aristotle’s golden mean to the dilemma.
- Tell us how the dilemma involves conflict moral duties (loyalty to community versus to self, professional versus familial duties, national or personal obligations).
The dilemma must be a situation in which a choice has to be made.
Be sure you told us why your chosen course of action was best.