writing There are 94 different federal court districts, and you are a newly hired investigator for the Federal Defenders’ Office in the Southern District o
There are 94 different federal court districts, and you are a newly hired investigator for the Federal Defenders’ Office in the Southern District of Florida in Miami. Assistant federal defenders are attorneys who represent individuals charged with crimes in federal court. In state court, these attorneys would be called public defenders. As an investigator, you are responsible for assisting the federal defenders in interviewing the defendant and witnesses, gathering background information, and assisting as necessary as the case moves through federal court.
You have been asked by the federal defender for your office to provide a paper of 1–2 pages on your understanding of the Bill of Rights.
The first 10 amendments to the U.S. Constitution are commonly referred to as the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights contains the foundation of the rights provided to individuals who are accused of committing crimes. In your paper, address the following points:
- Provide a brief overview of the rights contained within the Bill of Rights’ Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Eighth Amendments that apply to criminal defendants.
- Choose one of the amendments above, and discuss specific details of the protections that it provides. Discuss how that amendment has affected procedures implemented in law enforcement, the courts, or correctional facilities.
- Discuss either a published case or a case from the news where someone alleged that their constitutional right had been violated.
- Finally, indicate whether you agree or disagree with the way that this right has been implemented in the criminal justice system. Identify any ideas that you may have for improving the implementation of this constitutional right. Support your statements with research and specific examples.
- Provide citations to your references at the end of your paper in a Reference section.